How to Apply
High school students interested in the Schreyer Honors College should submit the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Application, as well as the Honors College application available through the MyPennState account. The Undergraduate Admissions Office will evaluate your credentials for admission to the university, and selected honors faculty will review your Honors College application.
The SHC admissions application includes:
- Three required essay questions
- Online recommendations from two teachers and one recommendation for your high school guidance counselor
There is an additional fee of $30 for the SHC application; if you have a fee waiver for the Penn State application, your fee will be waived automatically for the SHC application.
Candidates offered admission to the Schreyer Honors College should demonstrate:
- academic excellence,
- strong leadership skills,
- motivation and self-discipline, and
- a commitment to citizenship and civic responsibility.
Schreyer Scholars represent the top 5% of students at Penn State, and therefore should also be at the top of their respective high school class. The Schreyer Honors College does not set a minimum standardized test score or grade point average for its applicants. Candidates will be assessed based on the academic and extracurricular documents submitted with the application, as well as responses to essay questions and letters of recommendation.
Those students who have submitted a Schreyer Honors College application by November 30th will be invited to participate in an optional interview as part of the selection process.
- Interviews are conducted by Honors College alumni in the applicant’s local region.
- Interviews are intended to be a comfortable conversation about your activities and achievements as well as your interest in Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College.
- Should you apply by November 30th, you will be emailed in December about how to sign up for an interview.
- Interviews will be conducted by the end of January. As this is an optional interview, your application will not be negatively impacted if you are not able to participate.
- Every attempt will be made to accommodate all interview requests, but due to limited alumni availability, we cannot guarantee that every request will be honored.
The priority application date for the SHC for Fall 2014 first-year admission is November 30, 2013, but applications may be submitted through January 15, 2014. Applicants will be notified of admission decisions by mid-March.
Gateway Admissions for Current Penn State Students
Another avenue for admission is the SHC Gateway application process. The Gateway is a way for exceptional students currently enrolled at Penn State to enter the Schreyer Honors College. Most Gateway applicants will be fourth semester students applying for entry as juniors. We will also accept applications from exceptionally well-qualified first- and second-year students interested in being considered. There may be additional requirements for entry in certain colleges, so please read the instructions carefully when you determine your eligibility for submitting an application. For more information, go to The Gateway Admissions Process page.