Spotlight shines on honors college orientation
Students entering the Schreyer Honors College get star treatment during SHO TIME, Schreyer Honors Orientation.
The three-day program introduces first-year Scholars and upperclass students entering the college this fall to the honors college community. This year's program, which was held from Wednesday, August 18, through Friday, August 20, included community-building activities, summer reading book discussions, a student organization information fair, overviews of the college's academic procedures and enrichment programs, and ethics case study discussions with Penn State faculty.
From a production standpoint, SHO TIME included:
- 326 first-year Scholars
- 250 sophomores and juniors entering the college as Schreyer Scholars this fall
- 114 Scholar mentors, returning students easy to spot in their orange tie-dyed T-shirts
- 22 Scholar alumni who returned to share their experiences during discussions Friday afternoon
- 60 balloons
- 48 exhibitors at the Involvement and Service Fair
- 15 gallons of Scholars Chip Creamery ice cream
- 700 chocolate chip cookies
- 30 tins of shortbread cookies
- 600 Playbills
- 1,000 fall programming refrigerator magnets
- 1 SHO TIME Express golf cart to haul equipment between venues
Take a behind-the-scenes peek at SHO TIME 2010, which is featured as a Still Life photo montage on Penn State Live, the university's news site, or visit the SHO TIME 2010 photo gallery on the SHC Web site.