Contemporary Colombia Program
Leave for Colombia
Return to United States
Four-week, three-credit summer program (May-June 2019)
Colombia: Bogotá, Cartagena, Tolima, other destinations to be determined
All Penn State students, with priority for Schreyer Scholars and Paterno Fellows aspirants
Three honors credits
Colombia has experienced profound economic, social and political change over the last two generations, and is now in a "post-conflict" stage having concluded a peace agreement with the FARC guerrilla group.. The SHC Contemporary Colombia Program examines these changes in different regional settings, and in large cities through small towns and the countryside. We interact with universities, local government offices, and a range of non-governmental organizations to gain an understanding of various aspects of Colombian, and by extension South American, economics, culture, politics, and society.
The program is structured as a three-credit honors course (LATAM 499) with some pre-departure reading and get-acquainted meetings in person or by Skype (for non-UP participants), with classes and assignments due periodically over the course of the trip, and with a final paper due later in the summer.
You can view a preliminary syllabus, with itinerary and travel information, here.
You can also review a PowerPoint presentation for the 2019 program, including photos and links to videos.
- 2016 and 2017 photos at the Universidad de Ibaqué
- 2015 photos in Universidad de Cartagena, Ibagué and Murillo (Columbia)
- 2015 Video in Ibagué (Colombia)
- 2014 Colombia Blog
- 2014 Photos at the Instituto Caro y Cuervo in Bogotá
This program is open to all Penn State students, with priority given to Schreyer Scholars and Paterno Fellows aspirants.
- Round-trip ticket from the United States to Colombia, approximately $600-1000
- Required three credits of summer tuition and fees at the University Park lower-division in-state level
- $800 additional program fee; Schreyer Scholars will receive a $500 refund via scholarship for this fee
- The Official Budget Sheet can be viewed on the Global Penn State website
Applications, through the Education Abroad website, must be submitted by February 1. Decisions will be released by February 15, and the commitment deadline is February 25.