Many Scholars intern each year. But for some, the cost of taking a prestigious internship is high. Many internships that offer the best opportunities are unpaid, forcing Scholars to decide between their best option and the need to earn money with a summer job outside of their field.
For these Scholars, the Schreyer Honors College is there to help. With grants of $150 to $1,500, Scholars are able to pay for a portion of their experience—a daily commute, housing in an expensive city, or the increased expenses of interning abroad. Internships are often key to Schreyer Scholars building their resumes and even being offered full time positions after graduation. It enables them to gain experiences in their field and, in many cases, have clear direction regarding their path after college.
Last year, the Schreyer Honors College enabled 43 Scholars to receive funding to help cover the costs of their unpaid internships. This year, we are turning to our alumni, parents, and friends to help more Scholars make ends meet while turning their education into an exciting and rewarding career this summer.
Below are just a few locations Scholars interned last summer with the help of a grant:
- Peacekeeping and Stability Operations Institute (PKSOI) at the U.S. Army War College
- The Trust for Public Land — New York Office
- Napa Valley Film Festival
- The Cleveland Clinic
- Department of Forensic Sciences Laboratory
- Campaigns & Elections Magazine
- DC Attorney General's Office
- Harrisburg Internship Program
- The Malini Foundation
- University Medical Center: Freiburg
- Embassy of the United States Managua, Nicaragua
- Camelot for Children, Inc.
- United States State Department
- Downtown Frederick Partnership
- Quota International
- National Organization for Rare Disorders
- Office of Senator Casey
- Washington Partners, LLC
- MAC Cosmetics
- Intrepid Marketing Group
- Picture TV Advertisement Korea
- Estée Lauder Companies
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Kyle House Group
- NBC Universal Networks International
- Metrospect Events
- Friends of Harford/Johns Hopkins University
- Mayor's Internship Program (Philadelphia Municipal Building)
- The Mann Center for the Performing Arts
Can't wait to hear more? Watch Megan, Jeanne and Bobby's internship stories to hear about the impact these dollars can make:
But don't stop there. Give back today to jumpstart a Scholar's career this summer.
For more information about this or other campaigns, please contact:SHC Development & Alumni Relations