We believe that building a global perspective is a crucial element in each student’s college experience. Students who are able to study, research, intern, or complete a service project abroad are better prepared for today’s society. At the Schreyer Honors College, we strive to offer this experience to every Schreyer Scholar.
Last year, more than 350 Scholars received travel grants totaling more than $200,000. Still, many Scholars could not cover the cost of airfare with the grant they received. Therefore, we are striving to do more to support our Scholars in their dreams of traveling abroad.
Our newest campaign seeks to raise at least $6,000. This amount will help at least twelve Schreyer Scholars study abroad this summer. If we are able to raise more than $6,000, every extra dollar will go towards helping another Scholar pay for his or her experience abroad.
Watch the video below to see what an impact these grants can have in the lives of our Scholars:
With the support of private gifts from individuals like you, we can do more to help our Scholars develop their understanding of the world:
Pay for a one night stay
If you've traveled abroad as a student, you may have stayed in a hostel for a night or two. Every gift counts-- and with one of this size, a student can check this study abroad must off the bucket list.
Buy a student's groceries
When students ask for travel abroad funding, they are required to submit a budget to cover all their expenses. Your gift can help a student pay for a trip to the grocery store…in a foreign land.
Give an unforgettable experience
Travel abroad isn't just about study, research, or work — it's also about experiencing the world. Give a student the spending money she needs to go on that adventure that she'll never forget.
Sponsor a travel grant
On average, students receive travel grants of $500. We're trying to raise twelve average grants — and you can fund one of them!
Send a student to Africa
Students headed to Africa for ten weeks or more are given $1,200 to help make their trip a reality. Your gift helps students like Kate, in the video featured above, do research in Africa that couldn't be completed anywhere else in the world.
Help Scholars today by getting us one step closer to our goal of $6,000. With an average award of $500, your gift of any size can make a difference.
"The travel grant didn't just make my entire experience possible, it gave me a purpose to truly make something of my time abroad."- Marvin Johnson Psychology
Please consider making a difference in the life of a committed scholar by making a gift today!
Been awhile since you were in Atherton Hall? Read more about the travel abroad programs available to Schreyer Scholars:
- Signature Travel Programs
- The Schreyer Honors College’s signature international programs are even older than the SHC itself: our London Study Tour started way back in 1984, under Penn State’s University Scholars Program! Today we offer semester, summer, and short-term programs that have one thing in common: they provide the honors enrichment that Schreyer Scholars expect from honors courses.
- Travel and Research Grants
- In addition to the significant subsidies the SHC offers for its own signature international programs, our Schreyer Ambassador Travel Grant program provides funding for Scholars pursuing study, research, internship, or service abroad whether through Penn State or other providers. Each year we spend well over $250,000 supporting Scholars in their international pursuits.
- International Service Learning
- After formal study programs, one of the more popular forms of “education abroad” is service learning. Every year dozens of Schreyer Scholars go abroad to help communities, organizations, or the natural environment. These experiences are sometimes sponsored by Penn State academic units or student organizations, and sometimes they are self-designed, but most often they are offered by specialized service-learning providers not affiliated with Penn State.
For more information about this or other campaigns, please contact:SHC Development & Alumni Relations