Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How do I submit letters of recommendation?
Students will have two options for submitting letters of recommendation:
- Schools that participate with Naviance may upload recommendations to Penn State through this portal.
- Alternatively, for schools that do not have access to Naviance, applicants should print out cover sheets to give to all of their recommenders to attach to their letter. We prefer to receive these recommendation letters by e-mail at SchreyerLOR@psu.edu. Recommenders who are unable to e-mail their recommendations may fax them to the Schreyer Honors College at (814) 865-9900.
These are the only portals through which the letters of recommendation will be received. Please do not send recommendations to the Undergraduate Admissions Office as doing so will delay processing of the documents.
- What is the difference between the early November 1 deadline and the final deadline of December 3?
The November 1 deadline includes the opportunity for applicants to participate in an admissions interview. This option is not available to applicants after that date. There is no difference in the application review process.
- Does Schreyer Honors College offer early decision?
No, Schreyer Honors College does not offer early decision. However, Penn State has a new Early Action process. Students who apply by November 1 will receive a decision from Penn State by December 24. All applicants offered admission have until May 1 to accept their offer.
- Do you conduct admissions interviews on campus?
Our alumni throughout the country and around the world conduct interviews regionally. Online interviews are also available if an in-person interview is not available within a reasonable distance. These interviews are optional and a lack of an interview will not negatively affect the admissions decision.
- Does Schreyer Honors College track level of interest from applicants?
No, we do not keep track of an applicant's contact with us.
- Does Schreyer Honors College have a quota of applicants they can admit from each high school or into each academic college?
No, we do not limit our admitted class by either of these criteria. If an applicant comes through our admissions review as a qualified applicant, they will be offered admission.
- Do you accept mid-year senior grades?
No, our academic review includes courses completed from grades 9-11. We do not require or use mid-year senior grades. Penn State Undergraduate Admissions does not review mid-year grades.
- I have a student who wants to submit supplemental information that cannot be included in your web application. What do you recommend?
We will not accept supplemental information via U.S. mail, fax or e-mail. We recommend that the applicant post supplemental information to a web site and include the URL in the application materials. There is a space for supplemental information in the application.
- I have students who would like to begin working on their applications before September 1 (when the application is live). What do you suggest?
The application does not go live until August 1 of each year, but we do publish the three essay questions every July. This gives rising seniors the chance to begin working on the essay part of the application during the summer when they might have more time.
- Do you offer campus visits and overnight stays for prospective students?
We do not offer overnight stays for prospective students; however, we do offer two different visitation days throughout the year, in the spring and fall. These are planned specifically for high school students interested in learning more about the Schreyer Honors College.
A separate program is available to students who are offered admissions, including the opportunity for out-of-state students to spend the night with a current Scholar and attend classes. More information is provided once the offer of admission is made.
Information about visiting Penn State is available on the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Office website.