Use this at-a-glance checklist to keep your Schreyer Honors College application on track.
- Visit Penn State & the Schreyer Honors College
- There is no better way to see if a college is right for you than by setting foot on campus and getting a feel for the place. Not able to visit in the summer? Don't worry — Penn State has visitations year-round!
- Begin working on your SHC essays
- The essay questions are posted in mid-July to give you plenty of time to craft well-written, comprehensive responses by our application deadlines.
- Create a MyPennState Account
- Create a MyPennState account, and explore the Penn State University undergraduate application website. Learn about application requirements, academics, student life, and costs. Plus, you can chat with a current Penn State student.
- Apply to Penn State
- The application opens August 1.
- Access the Schreyer Honors College Application
The Penn State application is available through three portals: MyPennState, The Coalition Application and The Common Application. The application for the Schreyer Honors College is integrated with the MyPennState portal and through the Coalition Application. Students applying through the Common Application will be redirected to MyPennState to complete the Honors College application.
If you have previously indicated interest in the Schreyer Honors College, you will see the Honors College application button on the MyPennState dashboard. If you do not see the Schreyer Honors College Application button within your MyPennState account, it will appear once you have indicated an interest in applying to the Honors College within the Penn State Application.
The Coalition Application
The Honors College Application is integrated within the Coalition Application and will be shown to students who have indicated an interest in applying.
The Common Application
Students using the Common Application who indicate an interest in the Honors College will be redirected to MyPennState to complete the Honors College application. Although we do not have a platform preference, we highly encourage students using the Common Application to complete their Penn State application early as they will not have access to the Schreyer Application until they submit the Penn State application.
The Schreyer Honors College application consists of:
Note: We will already have access to the academic record you have submitted as part of your Penn State Application. There is no additional transcript required. We will evaluate your academic record in regards to the academic rigor and/or special programs available at your high school. Standardized test scores, which are required for your Penn State application, will not be utilized as part of the Schreyer Honors College application review, because they are not accurate predictors of a student's success in the Honors College.
- Attend Scholars Day
- This annual fall open house gives you a comprehensive look at what Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College have to offer.
- Admissions Interview Signup Opens
- Admissions Interview portal will open for students who have submitted their Honors College application. Interview spaces are limited and assigned on a first-come, first-served basies. All interviews must be scheduled and completed between October 1 and December 10.
- Priority Application Submission Deadline
The early application deadline for Penn State is November 1. Students who apply by this date will receive a decision from the University by December 24.
November 1 is also the priority application submission deadline for the Schreyer Honors College. Applicants who submit by 11:59 PM EST on November 1 will be eligible to schedule an optional alumni interview. Since you have been working on your applications since July, this should be no problem.
Note: All the materials for the Schreyer Honors College application must be submitted online. If you wish to submit applications that are audio or visual representations of your work, publish them online and include links in the appropriate section of the Honors College application. No offline material will be accepted or reviewed.
- Final Application Submission Deadline
- If you weren't able to finish the application by the priority deadline in November, our final submission deadline is December 3. In order to meet this deadline, you must have submitted an application for both Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College and have submitted all of the required documentation for both applications by December 3 at 11:59 PM EST.
- Recommendation Letters
- All letters of recommendation must be submitted online by December 3 at 11:59 PM EST.
- Admissions Decision
- Look for your Schreyer Honors College admission decision online in mid February to early March. We'll notify you in advance by e-mail of the date and time our admissions decisions go live. Good luck!
- Accepted Student Receptions
- If you have been accepted to the Schreyer Honors College, consider attending one of our many Accepted Student Receptions held in March and April. Information regarding these events will be posted online.
- Offer Acceptance and Housing Selection Deadlines
- The deadline for accepting a Penn State and Schreyer Honors College offer is May 1 at 11:59 PM EST. Incoming Scholars also need to select their on-campus housing option by May 15.
- New Student Orientation
- New Student Orientation consists of online placement testing as well as an overnight visit to campus in late-May. Detailed information is sent to you after you pay your acceptance fees.