Use this at-a-glance checklist to keep your SHC application on track.
- Visit Penn State & the Schreyer Honors College
- There is no better way to see if a college is right for you then by setting foot on campus and getting a feel for the place. Not able to visit in the summer? Don't worry — Penn State has visitations year-round!
- Begin working on your SHC essays
- The essay questions are posted in mid-July to give you plenty of time to craft well-written, comprehensive responses by our application deadlines.
- Create a MyPennState Account
- Create a MyPennState account, and cruise around the Penn State University undergraduate application website. Learn about application requirements, academics, student life, and costs. Plus, you can chat with a current Penn State student.
- Apply to Penn State
- The application opens September 1st.
- Access the Schreyer Honors College Application
Through your MyPennState account dashboard, click the button to the "Schreyer Honors College Application," which also goes live September 1st. If you do not see the "Schreyer Honors College Application" button within your MyPennState account, it will appear once you have indicated an interest in applying to the Honors College within the Penn State Application. You can also access the Schreyer Honors College application through the Penn State Coalition Application. The Schreyer application consists of three main sections:
- Three essay questions
- Short answer questions
- Two academic teacher recommendations (with room for up to two more recommendations that can be from other teachers, a guidance counselor, a coach, or club adviser)
Note: We will already have access to the academic record you have submitted as part of your Penn State Application. There is no additional transcript required. We will evaluate your academic record in regards to the academic rigor and/or special programs available at your high school. Standardized test scores, which are required for your Penn State application, will not be utilized as part of the Schreyer Honors College application review, because they are not accurate predictors of a student's success in the Honors College.
- Attend Scholars Day
- This annual fall open house gives you a comprehensive look at what Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College have to offer.
- Priority Application Submission Deadline
The priority application submission deadline for both Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College is November 30 at 11:59 PM EST. Since you have been working on your applications since July, this should be no problem!
Note: All the materials for the Schreyer Honors College application must be submitted online. If you wish to submit application materials that are audio or visual representations of your work, publish them online and include links in the appropriate section of the Honors College application. No offline material will be accepted or reviewed.
- Admissions Interview Signup
- If you submitted your application by November 30th, you will receive an e-mail invitation to sign-up for a Schreyer Honors College admissions interview. Interviews are optional and will be conducted by Honors Alumni in your local area.
- Final Application Submission Deadline
- If you weren't able to finish the application by the priority deadline in November, our final submission deadline is December 20. In order to meet this deadline, you must have submitted an application for both Penn State and the Schreyer Honors College and have submitted all of the required documentation for both applications by December 20 at 11:59 PM EST.
- Teacher Recommendations
- All teacher recommendations must be submitted online through the designated web link by January 9 at 11:59 PM EST.
- Admissions Interviews
- If you are taking advantage of the optional interview, interviews should be completed by the end of January.
- Admissions Decision
- Look for your Schreyer Honors College admission decision online in late February to early March. We'll notify you in advance by e-mail of the date and time our admissions decisions go live. Good luck!
- Accepted Student Receptions
- If you have been accepted to the Schreyer Honors College, consider attending one of our many Accepted Student Receptions held in March and April. Information regarding these events will be posted online.
- Offer Acceptance and Housing Selection Deadlines
- The deadline for accepting a Penn State and Schreyer Honors College offer is May 1 at 11:59 PM EST. Incoming Scholars also need to select their on-campus housing option by May 15.
- New Student Orientation
- New Student Orientation consists of online placement testing as well as an overnight visit to campus in late-May. Detailed information is sent to you after you pay your acceptance fees.