Our application is equally weighted among three essays, five short answers, two letters of recommendation and the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR). We do not use any standardized test scores.
As with Penn State's application, ours goes live on August 1. The application to Penn State is available on three platforms and students can access the Schreyer Honors College application directly on two of these platforms.
A link to our application activates on the student's MyPennState dashboard only after the student begins their Penn State application.
The Honors College application is integrated within this application and will be shown to students who have indicated an interest in applying.
Students using the Common Application who indicate an interest in the Honors College will be redirected to MyPennState to complete the Honors College application. Although we do not have a platform preference, we highly encourage students using the Common Application to complete their Penn State application early as they will not have access to the Schreyer application until up to 48 hours after they submit the Penn State application.
If a student applies by November 1, they are eligible to request an interview. The interview is optional; opting out of the interview will not impact the student's application in any way. Only the application needs to be submitted by this date to access the interview. Letters of recommendation can be submitted no later than December 3 at 11:59 PM EST.
The last day to apply is December 3 at 11:59 PM EST.
The deadline for letters of recommendation is December 3 at 11:59 PM EST.
Students will have the following options for submitting letters of recommendation:
- Schools that participate with Naviance may upload recommendations to Penn State through this portal. Please use the Penn State - Main Campus portal and NOT the Penn State Schreyer Honors College portal.
- If your student applies through the Common Application, it is our understanding that you must submit the letter of recommendation along with the Common App recommender form.
- If you are a Naviance school and your student applied directly to Penn State or through the Coalition Application, you can submit the recommendation directly through the Penn State - Main Campus portal.
- Alternatively, for schools that do not have access to Naviance, applicants should print out cover sheets to give to all of their recommenders to attach to their letter. We prefer to receive these recommendation letters by e-mail at SchreyerLOR@psu.edu. Recommenders who are unable to e-mail their recommendations may fax them to the Schreyer Honors College at (814) 865-9900.
These are the only portals through which the letters of recommendation will be received. Please do not send recommendations to the Undergraduate Admissions Office as doing so will delay processing of the documents.
- July: Essay Questions Posted
- Look for our essay questions on our website. Encourage the student to start working on them early!
- August 1: Application Opens
- Penn State and Schreyer Honors College application opens. Apply to Penn State first, then log back into the MyPennState account to apply to the Schreyer Honors College. Apply early!
- September 1: Admissions Interview Signup Opens
- Portal opens for students who have submitted the Honors College application to schedule an optional interview with Scholar Alumni. Interview spaces are limited and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Interviews will be held from October 1 until December 10.
- October 1 - December 10: Interviews Conducted
- Schreyer Honors College admissions interviews are conducted.
- November 1: Priority Application Deadline
- Early Action deadline for Penn State and the priority application deadline for the Schreyer Honors College.
- December 3: Application Closes/Deadline for All Application Materials
- Application closes at 11:59:59 PM EST; all application materials must be submitted at this time.
- Late February/Early March: Decisions Posted
- Decisions are posted online. Acceptances are followed up with a formal letter.
We communicate with the applicant throughout the entire process and are happy to answer any questions.
After a student submits their application, they may visit our SHC Application Status page to check the receipt of supporting documents. It is the student's responsibility to ensure all documents are received by the SHC and that the application is complete by December 3.
Admission to the Schreyer Honors College is highly competitive. Due to the increase in the number of highly qualified applicants, the Schreyer Honors College recently adopted a waitlist policy. The waitlist allows the College to manage the admissions process with more precision, especially as it relates to the maximum number of first-year students that can be accepted due to space limitations. That number is 300 each spring for fall enrollment.
Students placed on the waitlist will receive a message on Decision Day that they have been waitlisted. The message will direct them to opt in to the waitlist. Waitlisted students will need to accept their Penn State offer by May 1 in order to remain on the waitlist. The Schreyer Honors College will release or accept waitlisted students in stages as soon after May 1 as possible. Applicants and those who are not selected from the waitlist will be notified by email.